Coconut rice is famous in many countries in the world but the local Nigerian style is soothingly tasty and nutritious.
- 4 cups Coconut Milk
- 4 cups of Rice
- 1 cup Crayfish
- 2 cups of hot water
- Pepper to taste
- 500g Meat/Fish/Goatmeat
- 300g Dried fish
- 1 bulb,onions
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste (optional)
- 2 Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Prawns/ Shrimps
- Vegetables: carrots, red pepper (optional)
For the coconut milk, grate the coconut and soak in hot water for 15mins, squeeze through with your hands (caution: may be quite hot) and pass through a sieve
- Season the meat and cook till it is soft
- Fry or grill the meat
- Parboil the rice for about 8-10mins
- Wash out some of the starch with very clean water (optional)
- Put the rice in a pot and add the coconut milk and little water
- Add the broth from the meat
- Add chilli pepper, tomato paste, onions, maggi cubes, salt and crayfish
- Add the dried fish after about 10mins
- Allow to cook till it starts to dry, usually about 20mins
- Reduce the heat and confirm that it is soft - if it isn't, add water, a cup at a time till it is soft
- Serve into a dish with the grilled or fried meat
- Very nutritious with vegetable salad
i must try this, i loved it
I usually put in a bit of vegetable oil wit d mixture while cooking mine.do u?
No, i don't but i'll try that out soon - it's fun trying out new ideas while cooking
please can margarine by replaced with vegetable oil?
@ sagacious yes bt sometimes it change the taste of the rice.
Adding curry leaves while cooking dis dish
Is d highlight for me. Try it.